Friday, November 13, 2009

Hands Up for Chocolate Milk!

Will you raise your hand for chocolate milk? There is a new push to get chocolate milk taken out of school lunch choices. The thinking behind it, I guess, is that chocolate milk adds an extra 60 calories to the 110 that is in white milk. People who are worried about the rate of childhood obesity are rallying against the National Dairy Council who will be starting a new campaign to keep chocolate milk as a choice for students purchasing school lunches. Back when I was in school, it seemed like I didn't care for the white milk and mostly chose the chocolate milk. Back when I was a kid, there wasn't much concern about childhood obesity either, so I totally get the concern some of these nutritionists have about it. On the other hand, why take away a choice that a kid has that isn't really all that bad? I think the nutritional pluses in chocolate milk outweigh the minuses. Maybe a compromise could be reached. We only drink skim milk here at home; the only choice of milk at school is 1 or 2%, why not make chocolate milk with less sugar and with a lower fat content? I have four school aged children. They all choose chocolate milk over the white milk. I also have a couple of kids (one of them especially) who would be considered overweight, and one who is underweight. I just want them to eat the best foods they can while they are at school. I can only truly control their intake here at home; I don't sweat the small stuff! The portions at the school are controlled and my kids are doing the best they can. The other thing that someone pointed out is that when we adults were in school some 20+ years ago and chocolate milk was offered, obesity wasn't and issue, so it isn't the milk that is the problem, it is the kids' inactivity. Schools have been forced to cut Physical Education and recess time in order to get all the academic standards in. So what would be wrong with adding another day of P.E.? I don't think chocolate milk has that much to do with it, some people just want to change things because it makes them feel better, but doesn't have any real impact on the problem they are trying to address.

So, that is what is on my trash heap today. My hand is up for chocolate milk; and I would be in favor of offering a lower sugar, lower fat chocolate milk as well. Go with that, National Dairy Council!

1 comment:

KAYUMOCHI said...

It isn't lack of activity that is causing obesity among the young but the chronically elevated levels of insulin caused from eating carbohydrates. Are you sure you want more sugar in your child's diet?

Gary Taubes book, "Good Calories, Bad Calories," is the best document I have come across on diet.