Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Free Credit Report Scam

Just wanted to let everyone know that you need to be very careful when visiting the freecreditreport.com site. Apparently, I visited that site way back last December. I suspect I wanted to see what my credit score was since we were in the process of selling/buying homes. I don't even remember doing it. They seem to ask for a credit card number to "verify" your credit, and then you are on their "membership" role and they start charging your credit card $14.95 each. I used my Target Visa card, and it is a good thing I did because they called me last week inquiring about a suspicious charge made on my card from itunes. If they wouldn't have called about that, we wouldn't have looked back at our bills. My husband pays the bill online, so he never really looked at them, just paid it. As it turns out, there are 11 charges to our card from CIC Triple Advantage, 3 charges of $16.95 from someplace called Essential Savings Consumer Affairs, and then the one charge of $1.00 from itunes. None of these charges were authorized by my husband or me. I called the Target Visa people and they said that they can file a fraudulent charge claim against CIC, but they can only go back 90 days. I tried calling that CIC place, but they are on Pacific time and are three hours behind us, so here I wait. I want a full refund of my money, so we will see how far I get. In the meantime, my Target Visa card has been canceled and I will call those thieves this afternoon. Please, anyone reading this: DO NOT GO ON FREECREDITREPORT.COM!!!! It is a scam!

No comments: