Monday, September 15, 2008

Vesicouretral Reflux Fixed Using Deflux Procedure

I know the title sounds boring, but I am telling you, if you have a child who has vesicouretral reflux, you would do well to read this blog. Two of my four daughters were born with the condition that is simply put; one, or both ureters (the tube running from the kidney to the bladder) comes into the bladder wall at the wrong angle allowing urine to flow backward to the kidney when voiding. This can cause serious kidney damage if the child does not get treatment and/or does not grow out of it. My youngest daughter grew out of her reflux, but my next oldest one, who is nine, did not. In the past, the only thing to do was to re-insert the ureter at a proper angle. This required cutting into the abdomen and spending three days in the hospital. Now, thanks to researchers and doctors, there is a procedure that can be done that does not require an incision. The procedure is called Deflux. It is a polysaccharide gel that is injected on either side of the ureter where it enters into the bladder wall. The gel makes a bulge that can then serve to pinch off the ureter when the child is urinating. Eventually, the gel is replaced by the body's own tissue.
Today was the day we finally solved the reflux problem for my daughter. The procedure does require general anesthesia, but only takes about ten minutes. My daughter had the procedure done at 10:00 this morning, and is now up and playing a little Guitar Hero. She will be able to go back to school tomorrow. She will have to take her usual antibiotic for one more month, and then, she will be finished for good. It is amazing that within the time that she was diagnosed with this problem to the present, a non-surgical, well tolerated, outpatient cure has been devised. I know it seems like a minor thing, but modern medicine is alive and solving lots of little health problems that people have. It is a good and marvelous thing! For more information about the Deflux procedure, you can go to www.deflux.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I sent a mail asking more details on Deflux. Did you happen to see it?

Hippopop said...

I'm sorry, I didn't see it. Please resend if possible.

Anonymous said...

Hi, my daughter was just diagnosed with grade 2 vur. I am so scared, the urologist wants to do the deflux on her since she has had 2 UTI's and is only one. I know the rate of sucess is only 80 percent. My ped doctor thought he would just either want to monitor her or put her on anitbiotics. I don't know what to do? How do we know if it works, I think the only thing to do is another VCUG test which was awful and the urologist said he would not want to do that for awhile that he would do an ultrasound in three months and that would be the next step after the deflux. Do you have any advice or info--I would appreciate it--so scary and to put my one year old under scares me to death.
my email is tracie7507@yahoo.com
thanks

Susan said...

My 5 year old is scheduled to have this in 3 weeks. She was just diagnosed in December and has 2 breakthrough infections while on propholatic antibiotics. VUR seems so minor, but it is so stressful to live with. I hope your daughters are doing well. Thank you for posting this.

Anonymous said...

My four year old has had two UTI's and we recently found out she has Grade II reflux. We have decided to go ahead with Deflux and she will have it in two weeks. I am nervous about it but am also concerned about having my daughter on antibiotics for years.