Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sarah Palin Speech

Here's the thing; I am neither Republican nor Democrat, and proudly so. I have been watching some of the speeches that have been televised from both the Democrat and Republican party conventions. Sarah Palin's speech last night was of particular interest to me for several reasons. First, I knew very little about her; really only that she is young ( I'm glad they think 44 is young!). Second, because she is almost exactly the same age as I am. I think she is about a week older than I am, and she has children who are similar in age to my four children. Third, I wanted to see how she delivered her speech: hateful, mocking, full of substance, moving, genuine, etc. Anyway, she seems to be an interesting character in this election. The problem with both of the candidates that we have to choose from, for me anyway, is that neither of them is saying exactly what I want to hear. I want a leader who is genuinely concerned with the citizens of the United States of America. I want a leader who wants to end the war in Iraq--the sooner the better! I want a leader who will act quickly to make alternative fuels a reality in our country. I want a leader who will not tax the life out of every family and every business here. I want a leader who speaks the truth; who isn't concerned about his or her own popularity. I want a leader who is positive and above all the current stupidity of the politics in this country. I want the President to be someone to lead us back to the safety, security, prosperity and ingenuity we had before we became dependent on foreign countries for energy, cheap work forces and shoddy products. I want my children to grow up in a country that is strong and independent; that is safe and offers everything they could ever want or need. So far, while I have been impressed by the speeches that have been delivered, but I am not convinced that either candidate or their running mates are exactly what I am looking for. This is an important election. Some would argue that it is the most important election to happen in decades. I liked Sarah Palin's speech. I don't agree with her on everything. I liked Michelle Obama's speech, Joe Biden's speech, and Barack Obama's speech, yet I cannot bring myself to throw my support behind either candidate. So, what is a person like me to do? Watch and wait. Pray and study each candidate, I guess; and then hope for the best.

No comments: