Sunday, April 11, 2010

"Date Night" is More Than Just a Comedy

Have you ever gone to a movie expecting to be entertained, and end up coming out of the movie having been moved in an unexpected way? That is exactly what happened to me this weekend when my husband and I went to see the film "Date Night" starring Tina Fey and Steve Carrell. I thought it would be a good laugh and that I would enjoy it and that would be it, but the film did far more than that. Near the climax of the movie when the couple was talking about their friends who were breaking up, and how the friends described their relationship as really excellent roommates, I really had to think about that. The Tina Fey and Steve Carrell couple were trying to figure out if they were more than just "excellent roommates" or if their marriage was more than that. I have been married for twenty years and lately, I have been questioning what my relationship with my husband is, and what it means. We have been traveling on a pretty bumpy and precarious road for the last couple of years, and frankly, for me, our relationship is quite like being excellent roommates. I have no desire to divorce my husband, but I also have no real motivation to be anything more than a roommate. He has become someone different than I thought he was. I am sure I am different than the person he married twenty years ago. I am much more independent and stronger than I ever thought of myself in the early years of our marriage. I used to think he was a hero; that he could fix anything, and solve any problem. What I have now come to realize is that I am the one who is strong and can solve problems and keep us together. It has been me all along. I have been let down and hurt and confused by my husband for all these years and the thing that has kept me going; kept me with him, is my faith, and my strength. I am so much more than just a housewife. I don't know what the future holds. Maybe we will get stronger and survive the current mess we are in. Maybe we will continue being excellent roommates, or maybe there will be more in store for us that will bring us closer, I just don't know. The movie, "Date Night" is a good one and there is more of a message in it than your average comedy. I'm glad I saw it!

No comments: