Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Vacation is Finally Over!

My husband has been on vacation for the last eleven days. I think this has been the longest eleven days I have ever lived through. It wasn't that it was awful, but it was just all about him, and I wanted it to be that way. Throughout our twenty-year marriage, my husband has always complained that I don't give him enough attention. In that regard, I believe he is right. It just isn't in me to lavish attention on him--it's not my personality. I am not a touchy-feely person either, so that bugs him as well. Anyway, I decided that we would do anything and everything he wanted to do, and I would put very few demands on him. He got almost everything he wanted for the past eleven days. I hope he can reflect on it and appreciate the gift that was given to him because it wasn't easy! During these eleven days, I realized something about my own life, and that is that I will never get a "vacation" like this one my husband had. I have to be the most boring person in the world, because even if I had had the opportunity to say what I wanted to do, I wouldn't have been able to come up with anything. Really, all I want is to not have to do laundry, not have to plan meals, not have to clean up after anyone, and just be left alone for awhile. I don't want  some big, hairy guy pawing at me every night; I just want to be left alone. I just want to be. I want to loll around on clean, cool sheets. I want to just sit and stare out at the horizon. I want to eat when, where and what I want. I want to watch the television shows I want, and read as late into the night as I please. I want to go shopping--window shopping--for anything but antique hand tools. These are the things that would make me happy. I don't have any idea when or if I will have the opportunity for a vacation that is all about me, but if I would be so lucky as to have eleven days all to myself, I would enjoy every boring minute of it!

No comments: