Thursday, August 19, 2010

New Book--Great Read

I just finished reading the recently published book, "Last Dog on the Hill" by Steve Duno. If you love dogs and have a heart beating inside your chest, you can't help but enjoy this book. I usually shy away from books about animals, but as a dog owner who has loved and lost a couple of really great canine friends, I decided to go for it. This book is a memoir of Mr. Duno's life with his beloved Lou the feral dog he found on a hill in California. Lou seems almost like a superhero; way too smart to believe, but even if some of the stories about Steve and this great dog are a little embellished, it is still a really good book. There is a lot of humor and a lot of sadness in the book.   Mr. Duno is a great storyteller, and it felt like we were just sitting around listening to his adventures with this amazing dog that changed his life and helped change the lives of countless dogs who were slated to be euthanized. I finished the book in tears, but I had the satisfaction of knowing that I am not alone in my utter fascination and infatuation with my  furry companions. Even though Lou seems almost too extraordinary to be true, the relationship between him and his master is enviable. We all need a friend as loyal and brave as Lou!

No comments: