Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rediscovering Ebay

www.ebay.com
I have been a part of the ebay community for a long time. Back when my second oldest daughter was about a year old, 1996, I believe, I was a bored housewife and was poking around the internet, trying to learn more about it. I found a site that was about button collecting because I was interested in that at the time (still like buttons as a matter of fact) and I was chatting back and forth with another stay-at-homer, who liked buttons and she pointed me to this little website called "ebay" where she purchased some buttons through an online auction. At the time, I thought is seemed a little risky and very technical, but I went there anyway. I didn't tell my husband anything about it yet. The first item I decided to bid on was a set of clay marbles from the civil war--I also collect antique marbles--at that time there were no pictures showing items. You were on your own, so it seemed really risky. I bid on the marbles and got them for $10.00. I sent the guy my check and a few days later, I had my civil war era antique marbles. Only then did I decide I could tell my husband what I had discovered. Fourteen years later, what an evolution! From a tiny, picture-less auction site to the empire it is today! Unbelievable!

I am writing this post today because I have gone through a dry period in regard to eBay. I have either been too busy, or too uninterested, or like now, too financially strapped to even bother looking, however, since we are in such dire straits in terms of personal income, my husband and I have started selling things again, and eBay really is a good place to make a little money on the side if you have the time and motivation. Selling some items from his tool collection, and my selling of other various items (handmade Halloween costumes coming soon!) has at least allowed us to put gas in our car, or go out to eat once in awhile. All those years ago, who knew I would be relying on a website to help get my family through a financial nightmare. For that, I am thankful for the gal who told me about ebay and thankful that ebay has been so successful for so long!

No comments: