Thursday, September 23, 2010

If I Hear It One More Time. . .

I hate to still be on the mother-in-law kick, but I swear, if I hear: "What are you fixing for dinner?", "Have you ever made it before?" and "Can I help?" I think my head is going to explode! I don't like it when my kids ask me what I am making for dinner. Usually when they come up with that gem of a question, I answer: "Shit on a stick." That really wouldn't be a very nice thing to say to my mother-in-law though. Every meal I have made this week, she has asked if I have made it before. Even my kids have noticed that she has asked that. I just don't understand the purpose of the question. What difference does it make? Does she think I am going to try out a new recipe on her? I happen to be a pretty good cook, so she really doesn't have any reason to be concerned. I don't cook the same things she did for her family, and to be honest, I never would. I do use some of her recipes when cooking for my family, but I grew up on casseroles, and soups and fondue and experiments my mother used to come up with. My mother-in-law is Italian and her meals consist of breaded meat of some kind, bread, and some kind of pasta, and maybe a salad. That is it. No casseroles, no creativity involved. Half of the time I make something, I don't have the right ingredients so I have to use a substitute, and very often I wing it. While she is here, I usually stick to the tried and true stuff and I make sure I have everything I need. I just feel so weird and a little bit offended when she keeps asking the same question every day. I always give her a very polite "Yes" when answering her, but inside my head, I am screaming "I'm experimenting with arsenic this evening, won't you try some?" As to the last daily question, "Can I help?" Not sure why she asks me that. I think she thinks she has to, but I in my opinion, having someone (anyone, not just her) messing around in my kitchen is not any help. They don't know where anything is and do things differently than I do, so I just don't need that slowing me down. Anyway, she leaves on Sunday, and the Sabbath can't get here soon enough! I'm exhausted!

No comments: