Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Phillip Pullman's Golden Compass

So this Friday, the much advertised "The Golden Compass" movie opens in theaters. When I first saw the trailers for the movie, I thought it might be a film I would take my daughters to. Nicole Kidman stars in it, so I thought it must be good. Now I am not at all sure that my family and I will be going to see it. I had received several of the e-mails regarding the author and what the series of books is about. I am a Christian, so I checked out what snopes.com had to say on the matter. Sure enough, the information I had been receiving is true. This fellow, Pullman, is a self-described atheist and agnostic (can you be both?) and has written this series of books in response to the Narnia collection by C.S. Lewis. I am all for freedom of speech and I think that everyone should be free to express themselves in any way they see fit, but I have decided that this movie and these books are not appropriate for my family. I usually like to see movies before I pass judgement on them, but for this one, I think we will just pass on it. I hope that others who believe in one God will do the same--just pass it by--and don't spend your money on the movie or the books. Everyone is entitled to watch and/or read whatever they want, but as for me and my house, we will not support something that doesn't fit what we believe.

It will be interesting to see what Nicole Kidman has to say about all of this because I was under the impression that she is a devout Catholic. I wonder if she has read the series of books and what she thinks about them. Some reviewers of the work claim that not only is the series anti-Christian, it is specifically anti-Catholic.

No comments: