Thursday, July 10, 2008

Charm City Cakes Question

Sometimes I watch the cable show "Ace of Cakes." It is sort of a time filler show for me, but it is usually interesting and will hold my attention for a half hour or so. The other evening, I was watching the show and all of a sudden I got sort of grossed out because one of the cake artists there was working on a fondant decoration and she shoved the headband she was wearing back up on her head, and then went right back to working, with her bare hands I might add, with the fondant---that people might eat! The more I watched the show, the more grossed out I became. None of the workers uses any kind of sanitary measures when they are working on the cakes. They work on the cakes with their bare hands, and none wears a hair net or is ever shown washing their hands. I think the cakes are beautiful, and interesting and fun, but I just don't think I could ever bring myself to eat one, and not because of the elaborate decorations and shapes. I would be afraid I would be munching on some stray piece of hair, or eating something that an unsanitary hand has touched. Yuck! I wonder if Charm City Cakes ever gets visits from the Baltimore Health Department? If not, maybe they should!

No comments: