Monday, November 24, 2008

Bolt, Twilight & Stephen Colbert Reviews

I like to keep things short and sweet. I took my two younger daughters to see the new movie "Bolt" yesterday. My two older daughters went to see "Twilight" since they are "too old" for kids movies, and I tried to stay awake for the Stephen Colbert Christmas Special that premiered on Comedy Central last night. First, the move "Bolt". The way I rate a movie (especially kids movies) is whether or not I fall asleep. As for this charming little movie with the cute dog, I give it a 3 1/2 stars out of 4 because I stayed awake for the whole, predictable thing. The animation fascinated me. The dog, cat and hamster movements were so perfect they almost looked like real animals. I have had all three kinds of animals as pets, and this movie really personifies the animals' characteristics to a T! The humor was great too. As for "Twilight", I personally did not see the movie, but my 15 and 13 year olds gave it 3 out of 4 stars. I have read both the first and second books in the series (Twilight and New Moon) and while the story is interesting, I was not all that into it like so many moms and daughters are. The writing is okay, but the main character, Bella, annoys me and seems to have some mental health issues. If my daughters ever acted like that, I would definitely seek professional help. No girl should ever put that much importance on a boyfriend! Anyway, the girls seemed to think the movie followed the book pretty well and added a few humorous elements that they seemed to enjoy. Finally, the Stephen Colbert thing. I had high hopes for this to really make me laugh. There were some pretty funny things on throughout the show, but nothing that really made me laugh out loud; and nothing that I can really recall this morning that stuck with me, so I would give it 2 1/2 stars out of four. I know People magazine gave it 3 1/2 stars, but what do they know anyway. It was funny, but not that funny. All in all, I would say our movie viewing for this weekend was pretty darn high quality!

No comments: