Friday, January 16, 2009

All Things Inaugural

Living in the Washington, D. C. area right now is quite exciting. Everything right now is all about the inauguration of President-Elect Obama. The local news reports on every single detail. I read in our little scrap of a newspaper that the transit system from our town into D. C. is offering free rides on January 20th. That's a real deal since it normally costs $8.00 one-way to use the system. It is tempting to go when we could get a ride down there for free, but with four kids in tow and all the security concerns, I don't think I really want to go that much. The other day, I heard a report about how difficult it would be to find a would-be assassin in a crowd of 2 million. They also said that there is always the worry of biological and/or chemical attacks on such a large crowd. My Midwest, safety-conscious, sensibilities tell me that while it would be so cool to be a part of history, it is really best for me and my girls to just watch the inauguration on television in our (mostly) safe home 5o miles away from the action. What an exciting and nerve-racking time we are in right now. Homeland Security, Secret Service, FBI, CIA, and all those folks must be really ramping up right about now.

No comments: