Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Concern Over President's Speech Laughable

I just saw President Obama's speech to the school children of America. I thought it was a good speech and I hope my children have seen it, or will get the chance to see it because the President said stuff to the children that I say to my kids nearly everyday. "Do your best in school. . . use your classes to learn about who you are and what your gifts are. . . study and practice, no one is born knowing how to do everything. . . don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help. " All of these things are things that I have said to my children, but perhaps coming from our President, they will see that I am not the only one saying these things. I liked the speech.
As for the lesson plans the Department of Education sent to teachers ahead of time, I don't have first hand knowledge of, but from what I read, the questions and ideas for discussions do not seem to be the evil, brainwashing that "so many" (who knows how many??) parents were so concerned about. I do know that the fellow from Texas who was on Nancy Snyderman's show after the speech sounded like a blabbering fool. In my opinion, he was spitting back words that were indoctrinated into him by some very conservative group of Americans who are against anything that Obama does or says. He was saying that the content of the speech was okay, but the lesson plans are unconstitutional because some of the questions would force children to reveal personal information such as "attitudes, beliefs and feelings about things." This, according to that guy from Texas, is illegal and falls under "psychological testing" or "psychiatric treatment." Wow! I think that is stretching it a bit too far. I recall many times during a school activity or assignment when I was at school, being asked what my attitude toward something was, what my opinion was about certain things, and what I could do to make my community and where I lived a better place. That sort of question hardly constitutes psychological testing. The people who are putting this sort of dark and malevolent spin on everything about President Obama make me very concerned about our country's future. I don't understand why these people are afraid of everything that our President is saying. I think healthy questioning, and reasonable, non-violent discussions of problems in our country are necessary. We can't just blindly follow everything politician say. Most of the political stuff needs to be questioned and scrutinized, but assuming every word out of the President's mouth is evil and harmful is just as bad as what they are accusing him of. I certainly hope the people who decided not to send their children to school today were few and far between. It was a speech worth hearing and discussing.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Barrette said...

I'm glad to see people discussing the President's speech. I have posted about it myself over on Gaiatribe, with some study questions of my own.