Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hand of God

I have never been a very outwardly religious person. I am rather reserved, especially when it comes to my spirituality. I am a Christian--Methodist to be exact, but have always felt like I should have been Jewish since the Jewish faith seems to make more sense to me than any other religion; some of my family actually is Jewish, so maybe that is where my feelings come from. At any rate, last night I was talking to a friend from church who has a son who is a year older than my oldest daughter. We were talking about how strange teenagers are and then I asked my friend how she dealt (deals) with her son driving and being out on by himself. She said she has never really felt nervous about letting him drive and has always just believed that God would watch over him. I, on the other hand, have this overwhelming fear when I let my daughter drive. I'm not really sure where the fear comes from other than I am letting a sixteen year old operate a large metal machine out on roads where other people who are doing the same thing. I just worry, even though I don't want to. When I was a young driver, I did some silly things and made mistakes and got through everything okay. I know this sounds strange, but as a young driver and even now, I always have the feeling that I am in God's hands. I wear a "hand of Miriam" charm around my neck all the time to remind me that I am in God's hands. As I was leaving the church it occurred to me that I was making a big mistake about my daughter and letting her drive. Why would I assume that God would do anything less for my daughter than He has done for me? Why would I assume that only I am in His hands? What I need to do is trust that God is holding her and protecting her just like He has done for me all these years. I need to stop worrying, and allow God to hold her in His hand. How freeing is that?

No comments: