Friday, October 9, 2009

All I Want is a Little Car!

This is starting to get a bit irritating. My oldest daughter now has her driver's license. Having it is both a blessing and a curse. Right now, it feels like a curse because my daughter wants to drive to school sometimes. I really don't mind. I am getting more comfortable with her driving so whenever she wants/needs to drive to school, and I don't have other daytime commitments, I let her drive my car to school. That leaves me without a car for about eight hours per day. It is not necessarily a bad thing, but if there would be some sort of emergency with one of my other children, or myself, I would not be able to go get help.

For weeks now, I have been looking for a car to purchase for my daughter to use. I am really only interested in cars that are known to be safe, which narrows my options down a bit. My number one choice would be an old(er) Volvo. They are pretty hard to find because people tend to hang onto them until they are no longer usable. A few weeks ago, I found the perfect car for my daughter. It was a 1998 Volvo S70 with absolutely no rust. I looked at it several times, looked under the hood (not that I really know what I am looking at, but gunk under the hood that is obvious would be a red flag, I think). The next week, I went to the lot and my daughter and I drove the car. I really liked it. It was straight- forward with the instrumentation, the leather interior was excellent, it has a few extras like a sunroof, and it drove straight and felt solid. The only problem was that the ABS/TRAC light was on. I asked the salesman about it, but I really didn't understand what he was saying about it because English was not his native tongue. I gathered that they had done a computer scan on it and some sort of sensor or something was malfunctioning. I'm not sure what that mean except that I wouldn't feel comfortable unless the car was fixed and running without any warning lights illuminated. If the dealer would come down on the price, I would be inclined to just purchase the car and use what I saved on getting the ABS thing fixed. If there is no negotiating the price, then I would want the dealer to have it fixed before I would consider buying it.

Here is where my problem comes in: I can't get my husband to help me out with this. He has absolutely no desire to help me figure out what to do. He gives me absolutely no feedback about what he thinks we should do. I understand why he is so ambivalent. He has a car at his disposal every day, without question. He doesn't ever give up his car, so there is no sense of urgency. It is so frustrating. All I really need is for him to say, "go ahead and spend the money" and I would take care of everything myself. So far I have gotten nothing but silence. All I want is a little car. . . and a little feedback!

No comments: