Friday, May 28, 2010

Rubber Band Fever

Has it hit your local elementary school yet? The "fever" I am referring to is the shaped rubber band explosion that happened in our town this Spring. It was the most amazing thing to see unfold, and I could just kick myself for not coming up with the idea first. If you have children, then you probably know about the fun, colorful, funny shaped rubber bands that are being sold all over. I first saw them several months ago--I think even before Christmas--and thought they would make good stocking stuffers, but I didn't purchase any. Around the beginning of May, I purchased a couple of packs of sea creature shapes and funny shapes for my daughter for her birthday. Ever since then, we can't seem to have enough of them. The crazy thing is, that apparently there is no patent on them, so there are many different manufacturers and many different places to purchase them. I have bought them at Walgreen's and Hallmark stores. The Walgreen's ones cost .99 for a card of six, and $2.99 for a pouch of 20 or 24, I think. The Hallmark ones were between $5.00 and $8.00 depending on what shapes. So, anyway, the kids (elementary through high school) have all been collecting them and trading them since early this Spring. They actually are not rubber, but silicone and there are many different names: Silly Bandz, Zany Bandz, Stretchy Shapes, Rubba Bands, Band-It-O's, and Bama Bands to name a few. I noticed that they can be purchased at Amazon.com as well, so now you know. If your kids haven't caught the "band fever" yet, they probably will soon.

No comments: