Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Very Strange Chevy Traverse Commercial




Okay, so you know I have been watching the Olympics since August 8th, and over the course of the last ten days or so, there have been many, many commercials shown. There are some that are clever and funny, some that are irritating, some that are stupid, and some, well you just have to scratch your head and say, "What in the world were they thinking?" One such commercial is the one for the new Chevrolet Traverse. It looks to me like it is a crossover vehicle that is being touted as "best in class" for fuel effieciency and passenger room. The commercial just has me befuddled because it shows this good looking guy ironing while he is talking on the telephone. You can hear him say "six months," still with that rather queer smile/smirk on his face. Then he tosses up the item he has been ironing and it looks like a little girl's dress. If that isn't weird enough, after all the blah, blah blah about this Traverse vehicle, the last shot is of this guy on his hands and knees scrubbing out a black toilet in what looks like a public restroom. I just don't get it. I have seen the darn thing countless times and have tried to study it to figure out what the ad is all about, but it just doesn't make any sense. My twelve year old might have been onto something when she said that maybe the guy was supposed to be the car, I don't know it just seems like the ad team that came up with this one was really struggling to get an idea and just went with this stupid thing. For me, it certainly does not make me want to even investigate the car. The commercial is just that creepy and weird. Sorry, Chevy, you really blundered on this one, and to top it all off, I think the car is kind of, well ugly, clunky looking and boring. Just take a look at it for yourself--PU!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing you are DEFINITELY a man. If you pay REAL attention this commercial is for WOMEN and it's very clear when the voice in off says something about "what every one wishes": A heavenly good-looking guy taking care of all things girls care about having at home: Remembers your anniversary, irons, cooks AND keeps his georgeous smile on that kissable face. HA!!!!!

Hippopop said...

I'm most definitely NOT a man--mom of four. I must just be too bleary-eyed from watching all the Olympics to get it. I don't care for it at all--not the guy, not the car. Oh well. . .

Anonymous said...

Actually, I understand why it's so confusing. After seeing it the first time I got this weird vibe. After viewing it a few times, I actually think it's portraying a gay man who is a housekeeper/maid; hence, the toilet cleaning and pile of clothes being ironed. The little girl's dress is not his daughter's because he is only celebrating a six month anniversary.

Anonymous said...

NOT a little girl's dress, people -just a dress, period.

And the guy is hot and this commercial is hilarious!

So far as the car - who really cares? It's all about the babe doing the ironing (I am a woman, BTW) and a man ironing and scrubbing a toilet definitely qualifies as "beautiful and functional" in my book.