Tuesday, June 16, 2009

David Letterman & Sarah Palin

There sure has been a lot being bantered around about the David Letterman's joke regarding Sarah Palin's daughter, so I guess I'll put my two cents worth in about it too. I like David Letterman. He grew up in Indiana, and he also went to Ball State; my alma mater, so I feel a sort of "hoosier kinship" with him. I'm undecided about how I feel about Sarah Palin. I have four daughters and would be terribly upset if someone made a tasteless, classless joke aimed at them, so I feel a "motherhood kinship" with her. Let's face it, David Letterman's joke was poor; all the way around. It wasn't particularly funny, and it hurt someone. He should have had the decency to reject it. Just because it was written for him to use doesn't mean he had to say it. He should have used better judgement. I don't think he is a dirty old man, and I think if someone made a nasty joke about his son, he would be offended too. That's just the way parents are. They want to protect their children. Sarah Palin is only doing what comes naturally; protecting her daughter. Who can blame her? To accuse her of "putting her kids out there" is just stupid. Kids are kids. They should be able to attend a ballgame with their parents without being the subject of ridicule--regardless of who their parents are. I'm not sure why people hate Sarah Palin so much. I don't dislike her, but I'm not crazy about her either. She sort of just is for me. I feel bad that someone made a nasty joke about her daughter--it really wasn't even funny--but I think she should let it rest now. An apology was made--a good one--that David had the balls to take responsibility for the mistake himself and not blame writers or the weather or anything else--so now the whole issue should be dropped. Lesson learned--I hope!

No comments: