Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I'm All For Hybrid Cars, But. . .

I saw an article that said 6 in 10 people would purchase a hybrid or "green" car. I would consider myself as one of the 6 who would be willing to purchase one, however, before I could ever actually purchase one, two things must be true. First, the sale price must be competitive. Right now, the hybrids that are available are too expensive, so purchasing one is currently out of the question for my family. The second thing (and it is the deal killer) is that the vehicle MUST be able to carry all members of my family and our accompanying junk. We are a family of six. As of right now, we own two vehicles that can (uncomfortably) carry all six of us, but not all of our things. Going to my mother-in-law's for the weekend is a dreadful task because we either have to stuff everything in every nook and cranny of the car and travel for 3 1/2 hours even more uncomfortably, or we have to stuff everything in an overhead carrier which takes more effort than it is worth. I miss my Suburban!!!! If the government is going to require all cars to eventually be "green" then the car manufacturers need to come up with cars that can actually serve the owners; not the other way around. It wouldn't make any sense for us to purchase a Prius or anything like that because we would need three of them just to take a weekend trip. That is pretty foolish if you ask me. So, come on American car companies, use your ingenuity and come up with a great, economical, environmentally responsible family vehicle! Do the right thing for a change!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they started electric cars much earlier... but was shot down by oil companies + lobbyists