Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Juxtapostion of Life

Last night when I was drifting off to sleep, a funny thing occurred to me: I have two kids who are at similar milestones in their lives but at very different stages. Let me explain. My oldest daughter just passed her driver's test and got her first driver's license. What an exciting time for her; what a worrisome time for me. My youngest daughter has finally learned how to ride her bike. What a joyous time for her, what a worrisome time for me. They are both testing out their wings, both learning what a joy it can be to have a little taste of freedom. Both are learning that there are many dangers in the world. Both are learning that seat belts and helmets are important, lifesaving devices. Both are learning to be cautious and watchful. Both know what a close call feels like. As for me, I worry. I know worrying is not the best thing to do, but I do it anyway. My oldest just doesn't seem ready; doesn't have the driving skills yet to be set out on her own in my car. My youngest is discovering that riding her bike to the pool isn't "that far," and that pushing down hard and fast on her coaster brake can produce a great skidding, fishtail effect, even if the end result is a skinned knee. My youngest daughter asked, "So, when do you think I'll get new bike?" We promised her one of her very own if she learned how to ride. My oldest daughter asked, "So, when do you think we will get a car for me to drive?" We didn't promise anything about a car for her, but the juxtaposition of my girls' lives gives my spine that tingly feeling. My girls are growing up. They are spreading their wings and all I can really do is sit back and watch them fly.

No comments: