Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Price of Oil Makes Me Sick!

Since we have moved, I have not been driving very much. There is nothing that I really want to drive to like I used to. Here, the only places I drive to with any regularity is the grocery store, the bank and the girls' schools. Today, I had to go to the bank and on the way, I pass two of the three gas stations in our town. One is a BP and the other is a 7-11, and they are right across the street from each other. The 7-11 gasoline price was $3.28 and the BP price was $3.29. There is a Shell station a little farther up the street, and I am sure their price was well above the other two, since they always are higher (why would anyone go there, I wonder?) Anyway, the price of gasoline is sickening. I thought gas at $2.50 a gallon was a lot, but now? What are we, average American people, supposed to do? When is this upward climb going to stop? Something must be done. Eventually, I will have to do some driving since where we live has no place to shop except for groceries, so we are stuck driving twenty miles to simply purchase underwear and socks. All we have been hearing is how little the dollar is worth, how the real estate market is terrible, and how everyone is worse off now than they were just a couple of years ago. I am so sick of it, all this stuff makes me feel hopeless. The countries who have the oil keep getting richer and richer, and America seems to be slipping farther and farther into financial ruin. I'm frightened by all this. The dismal economy makes it difficult to maintain a positive outlook for my children who are dreaming of what careers they will pursue, and what kind of lives they will lead. I'm heartsick.

No comments: