Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Looking at Oprah Winfrey's Weight Again?

I thought everyone was over all that. Let's face it, some people are not meant to be skinny rails. The world is made up of all sizes of people, why does it have to be such an issue. Sometimes I hate the way I look and wish I could wear smaller sized clothes, but then again, I know I am who I am. I am healthy and active and I want to be able to walk down the street not worrying about my weight. I am a recovered bulimic and just wish that we could all just be comfortable with who we are and what we look like. It is difficult enough for average people like me to feel good, but Oprah has millions of eyes on her and she feels like she has to explain herself and her weight to everyone again. It must be a terribly uncomfortable spot to be in. We all know that less fat on our bodies is better. We all know that we need to eat a diet that is balanced and nutritious. Oprah has the means to pay for a chef to cook for her and dole out smaller portions. She has the means to hire a personal trainer and to surround herself with all sorts of experts to support her, but even with all that, she has yo-yoed with her weight. If that is true for someone like Oprah, then I don't so bad about myself. Everyone has faults; everyone has burdens to bear, everyone has at least one weakness. I like Oprah and I think she has a true gift of inspiring people, but she needs to be a little less apologetic about her weight. She looks good and seems to be able to do the work she wants to do, so why apologize and explain?

No comments: