Monday, April 7, 2008

Olympic Boycott on the Horizon?

Since I was just a little girl, I have loved watching the Olympics. There is just something exciting about many countries of the world coming together peacefully to compete against each other. I am just old enough to have a very dim, but frightening memory of the 1972 Olympics in Munich, Germany. I remember watching the grainy images of people crawling on the ground, and I remember my parents were concerned about the Jewish American athletes; especially Mark Spitz. I am definitely old enough to remember the 1980 Olympics that the United States decided to boycott. I was fourteen, and looking forward to the spectacle and pomp of the event that was to take place in Moscow, but because of the Soviet Union's invasion of Afghanistan, our country did not participate. It was a bitter disappointment. So here we are, in 2008, awaiting the Games again, and I am wondering if that same sort of disappointment is in store for us again. Already with the trouble the flame is having getting through London, and now the extinguishing of the torch several times in Paris, it seems like there might be a foreshadowing of what we are in store for this summer. China was perhaps a poor choice of countries to host the big event, but we can't go back and have a do-over. With the behavior in Tibet, I'm not at all certain that the United States should participate. With all the unrest, could a 2008 boycott of the Olympics be on the horizon?

No comments: