Thursday, April 3, 2008

Plane, Train, or Automobile-Summer Vacation Trips

I am trying to plan my family's summer activities and I keep hearing that gasoline prices may climb as high as $5.00 per gallon during the summer months. With that in mind, my husband and I decided that instead of driving to Florida in June, we will (all six of us) be flying to Orlando. It seemed cheaper, not to mention faster, so that trip is settled. The other summer activity was for me to go back to Indiana to visit friends and family during the month of July. I would be going there with the four girls, but my husband would stay behind because he has to work, of course. Driving the 600+ miles with four girls seems a little daunting to me, so I decided to check into other modes of transportation options. I don't think flying will work for us again, because the cost is too much to fly into either Fort Wayne International or South Bend. My next option is to take the train. There is an Amtrak station not far from where we live and a station in Elkhart, where my parents live. For all five of us to travel, I think the total cost for regular coach seats is around $413.00 roundtrip. I have only travelled by train a couple of times and then it was only from Elkhart or Fort Wayne to Chicago. I also don't know how the girls would do on the train--it makes me a little nervous. So, for now, I'm just watching the gas prices (rise) and as they do here in Virginia, "biding my time."

No comments: