Thursday, April 3, 2008

Thomas Beatie, the Pregnant Man

Today on the Oprah Winfrey Show, Thomas Beatie and his wife will be discussing their unusual situation. When the news of a pregnant man first came out last week, I thought it was some sort of strange phenomenon. When I heard the full report that the guy who is pregnant had actually been born female, I was a little disappointed. Not so much a miracle, but just a strange bit of human interest that wasn't all that surprising once I thought about it. It is still difficult for me to understand why this fellow didn't go all the way with his sex change; seems rather ambivalent to me. Before Thomas Beatie changed genders, he was a very attractive woman named Tracy who was even a beauty pageant contestant. The urge to change genders, in this case, seems very mixed up to me. The other thing that I have a hard time understanding is Mr. Beatie's wife, Nancy. She looks like an older woman to me (but I never read what her actual age is)and looks like any other woman. The relationship between the couple must be something very (for lack of a better word) special. Perhaps there is more to the couple than sexual attraction, or perhaps Mrs. Beatie is also sexually ambivalent. This is the sort of thing that I usually just say, "there is someone for everyone" and hopefully the couple will have a happy, healthy, and fulfilled life together with their soon to be born daughter. I don't usually watch Oprah, but today might be the one show to watch.

No comments: