Friday, June 13, 2008

Happy Father's Day

So, I've been thinking about fathers and Father's Day. I remember thinking that my dad was a giant when I was a kid. He is, in reality 5'2"--a rather small guy. I also remember thinking that sometimes he was the meanest most unreasonable person to ever walk the earth. It seemed like I couldn't do anything right in his eyes. I also remember how brave I thought he was because he was a lay-leader in our church and would get up and speak in front of the whole church without so much as a flicker of nervousness. He would pray at dinner every night, he was good at improvising things like putting blocks on our tricycle pedals so we could reach. He still comes up with funny little ideas to improvise if he doesn't have a particular tool to fit the job. He was an elementary school principal, so he demanded excellence in school from my sister and brother and I. My father always seemed to be able to give of himself. He left me with a strong sense of the importance of serving others. He also left me with a good sense of humor and a quick wit, and the idea that if you are going to go anything (even seemingly unimportant things like yardwork) do it right and do it well, and completely. Today at age 74, my dad is still working to improve himself. He is studying to become a certified playground safetly inspector--kids are his passion. He still stays current on public education issues and politics--we do not agree about politics, but that's okay. He is a terrific grandfather known to my girls as "Poppy" and loves to joke around and play with them. He still demands obedience and my girls know better than to argue and fight around him because he could still yank a knot in their tails, if he wanted to! I think my dad gave me so much that I cannot begin to thank him. I am who I am because of so much of what he showed me through example and I hope I can pass on his firm resolve to continually better himself to my girls. Happy Father's Day, Dad!

No comments: