Friday, June 6, 2008

Living Through a 3-day Power Outage With a 15 Year Old

I'm surprised we survived. Three days ago, my six year old and I were driving home from a grocery store run (in the next town, of course), and were caught in some nasty weather that resulted in downed trees and powerlines--3 days without power. Thankfully, we made it home safely. Thankfully, last year I insisted that my husband purchase a generator, and thankfully, the power is back on and things will get back to normal. I would have to say that the worst part of being without power was how my 15-year-old coped (or didn't) with the inconvenience. For her, it was an emotional rollercoaster. One minute, she would be patient and would do the little things that the other girls were doing to pass the time; reading, playing games, watching shadows from candles on the wall--all that sort of stuff. The next minute, she would be railing on and on about how stupid the whole thing was; how stupid the power company is; "I hate Virginia" rants. It was difficult to live through for me because I always seem to take those sorts of things personally and think that I have to do something to "fix" it. Obviously, there is nothing to do about a power outage except wait (patiently) for it to come on. I have to remind myself that a teenager looks at her/himself as the sun and all the other planets revolve around her. That is just how they are wired, but it gets awfully tiresome and sometimes I just want to scream: "Would you just GROW UP!!!!" but of course, that's exactly what she is doing, and very normally, I might add.

No comments: