Friday, February 6, 2009

Cheerios Cereal Promotes Emasculation

I just ran across a video of Bill O'Reilly interviewing a fellow named Marc Rudov. They were debating a Cheerios commercial that has been running on national television. They claimed that it is a new commercial, but I have been seeing it for months now. Anyway, the commercial is the one where the husband asks the wife if she is eating Cheerios because she wants to lose weight. She seems to be seething beneath her fake politeness, and does end up making the husband look like a stupid idiot. I, personally, do not like the commercial. I think the woman is horrible and actually quite a b***h. The man is really no better because he stupidly implies that she is overweight. They both seem a little passive-aggressive. The commercial doesn't put the best light on either sex, but lately I have observed the trend in commercials and sitcoms to make men out to be weak, and stupid. I have already pointed that out in an earlier post about the Campbells Soup "Num Yummy" mess. I can't quite figure out why this ridiculing of men is happening, but this guy, Marc Rudov sort takes things a bit too far. He has a website, http://www.blogger.com/www.TheNoNonsenseMan.com that is dedicated to convincing others that we live in a "Gynocracy". Mr. Rudov has written a couple of books about how a man should treat a woman, but just the title of the first one is off-putting. He also has a page that is called the Femme Fishbowl that is kind of nasty, so I'm not really sure I understand what Mr. Rudov is trying to accomplish. He calls himself "Mr. Nononsense" and a "Relationship Coach", but just skimming through his website made me wonder what kind of underlying hatred of women he really has. The tone of his website (he wants all men to boycott Valentine's Day) and his tone on Bill O'Reilly's show was negative and anti-women. I do agree with him on this, something is going on with the ads and television shows that seem to get some sort of glee out of making men look stupid--a bit of a double standard perhap? Anyway, please check this website out and let me know your thoughts.

No comments: