Monday, February 9, 2009

Hard Times In My Hometown, Elkhart, Indiana

My poor, poor (literally, these days) hometown of Elkhart, Indiana, population 52,000+! It has the dubious distinction of having the nation's highest unemployment rate. The last number I saw had the unemployment rate at 15.3 %. It just makes my heart hurt for the folks who are trying to live their lives there. In it's heyday, Elkhart was known as the "RV capitol of the world" Most of the campers and other RV's you see on the roads have been made at companies like Coachmen, and Jayco. These were once the backbone of Elkhart. My parents and brother still live there. My parents are currently taking their yearly respite from the winter weather in Elkhart, but when they return in the middle of March, will there be anything left? My brother, so far, has not been laid off, but his industry is one that supplies wood components to RV companies. How long his job hangs in there any one's guess. President Obama is having a town hall meeting at my Alma mater, Concord High School. I hope lots of people get answers and reassurance from him. I hope all the politicians who are working on the stimulus plan can just, for one moment in history, stop worrying about their political party and just help the people they are supposed to be working for. It seems to me that many of the senators who are fighting against this thing my not realize that while the bickering continues, real peoples' lives are falling apart. My own life, while not a dire as some, is getting a little split in the seam because of this financial mess. Our issue is housing and college tuition. We have an immediate need for housing and we will be forced to use our children's college money to purchase a home. It makes me sick, but we have no other choice. What are we all supposed to do? Americans need help and hope. Let's hope President Obama can get his message across while he is in Elkhart today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps if they spent more time trying to save the city courthouse and spent that money on the residents that are struggling and let the court go to the County Court it would relieve a little tension but of course they are not goin to do that.