Monday, March 8, 2010

I Don't Understand

My grandmother is old. Not super old, just pretty old. She is ninety-three. On April 1, she will be ninety-four. She has always been a character. She was a very young mother, so that, in turn, made her quite a young grandmother. She has always dressed well; never succumbing to all that ugly polyester Karen Scott or Sag Harbor kind of "old lady" clothes. She always seemed to keep up with the trends and yet never dressed like she was trying to look young. I am using the past tense of my verbs because my dear, sweet, feisty, grandmother is lying in a nursing home bed suffering. It is unbelievable to me how quickly a person can deteriorate. In September, I was still e-mailing her at least once a week. In October, she started having pain and by the end of the month, she was in a nursing home to get physical therapy with the hope that she would return to her home. She had a few more health crises, and is no longer even getting dressed. She lays perfectly still on her bed because every movement causes her back to hurt. She no longer has any solid vertebrae, so her spine must be tender. This all so weird, and everything seems contradictory. Her health seems to have declined so rapidly, that we are all surprised that she is even still alive. She frequently asks my dad why she just can't "go."  My dad has told her that maybe God isn't ready for her yet. I don't know how long she will buy that response. She is still mentally sharp. She has always wanted to "meet her Lord and Savior" and so why all the suffering? She has lived a good, long, life. She has been a faithful follower of Christ, so why not? I just don't understand. Why in the world must she suffer so? I guess God alone knows and we just need to love and comfort her until he is ready for her.

No comments: