Friday, November 16, 2007

All News is Bad News

Is it just me, or is the news around the world getting worse? It seems to me that every news story is about how bad things are in the world. The weather is "going crazy" so Sam Champion of ABC's Good Morning America is going on a special assignment to find out why. Kids are addicted to coffee, so a local reporter is digging for the dramatic reason why. More and more people are filing for bankruptcy and no one can sell their homes. If one were to watch news channels all day, everyday, it would seem that the world is coming to an end. Accoding to the media, all the world's gone mad and everything is bad. How has this happened? Are things really as bad as the news channels want us to think? What is the true state of the world? How can I be positive when everything is so negative? I don't want my children to think that there is no hope. That there is no reason to work hard, get good grades, go to church, and be the best person you possibly can be? Last night we went out to eat and when we came out of the restaurant, several protesters were standing outside the courthouse with signs protesting the war in Iraq. My husband, being the conservative he is laughed at them and called them hippies, but my daughters asked me why they were doing that. At the risk of having my husband make fun of me, I told them that they had every right to protest. Maybe there is hope that a handful of voices on a cold Thursday night could make a difference. My girls didn't get it. Honestly, I didn't see the value in standing on a street corner on a Thursday night either, but I want the hope that it represents. We are told by the media everyday that there is no hope. There is no way to make a difference. I don't want my daughters to feel hopeless. I want them to believe that one voice, one opinion, one action, might make a difference. I want that hope, no matter what some news reporter on ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, etc. says. I'm going to turn the television new OFF!

No comments: