Thursday, November 1, 2007

Orange Soup

There isn't really anything that belongs in the trash heap in this post, but I thought I would add it anyway. I started the tradition of making my mother-in-laws recipe of "Orange Soup" every year on Halloween. The soup is very popular with my husband and girls and we certainly enjoy it at least every couple of months; not just on Halloween. It is a great alternative for chili since I am the only one who likes chili in my family. So, with that being said, here is the recipe for Italian Chicken Soup, more commonly known in my family as "Orange Soup"

1 chicken, cut up (or just use canned white meat if you are pressed for time)
3 lg. sliced carrots--more if you like
3 ribs sliced celery
2 onions, chopped
1 small can tomato paste (I sometimes use sauce--just depends on what is in my pantry)
5 qt. water
Salt and pepper to taste
Small pasta

Place chicken and water in pot over medium heat. Skim the top occasionally. Turn heat down and simmer for 1 hour. Remove fat from top. Add carrots, onions and tomato paste. Simmer 1 1/2 hours. Turn off heat. Remove chicken, shred the meat and return to the pot. Bring to a boil and add 1 cup of soup pasta. When tender, serve. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top for a little added flavor.

**If using canned chicken, I use packaged chicken broth for my base. This recipe is also delicious using stew beef with beef broth for the base. I also like to serve some sort of crusty bread or soft breadsticks with it.

Enjoy!

No comments: