Monday, May 19, 2008

$2.99 Gasoline for Three Years-Cheers to Chrysler!

I have been interested in this marketing idea that Chrysler/Dodge has come up with. In this period of unheard of fuel prices, this might be the thing that helps boost Chrysler out of their dismal sales record. It seems to me that Chrysler has always been the ugly step-sister when it comes to car manufacturer. They seem to always get a bad rap, and there is a perception that Chrysler products are inferior. My parents have owned Dodge Grand Caravans for at least the last ten years; probably even longer than that. They always lease for three years and then trade in for the newest model, and for the most part, I think they have been satisfied with the features and performance of their various vehicles. My sister bought a Jeep Liberty when they first came out and my brother-in-law bought an Aspen when that model first came out. They have also found their cars to be both reliable and affordable. I was puzzled why there were so many negative blogs and nay-sayers when this $2.99 per gallon gimmick first circulated. I really don't think the idea is all that bad. It may be a gamble for folks who decide to purchase and lock into the gasoline price, but then again, do you really think we are going to see $1.00 per gallon gas prices ever again? I am an optimist and I think that the idea is a good one and I hope it gives the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge company the help it needs to get out of their slump. People just like to be negative, I think, and afterall what are the other car companies doing to help us out. True, the hybrid vehicles are a great idea, but they are so expensive that they don't really pay off. There are also very few family sized hybrid vehicles, so I say, "Way to go Chrysler!" Maybe this and their new crossover Dodge Journey will really take off and people will start thinking more highly of the company just in time for them to roll out their new line of affordable (I hope) hybrids.

No comments: