Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Drowning in a Sea of Unhappy

Have you ever been so unhappy that you just don't know what to do with yourself? I am talking about an all consuming unhappiness that lasts for more than just a day, not sadness really, although there may be a little of that mixed in too. Just an all around unhappiness about nearly everything. In my life I have had times when I have been unhappy and have always been able to dig myself out of it. During those times though, I was not a mother or a wife. I did not have anyone but myself to worry about. The unhappiness I am feeling now is so much more complicated. I have been able to enjoy a few things, and talk myself into being happy for certain moments in time, but this overall unhappiness is about to eat me alive. I have lost all confidence in myself in being able to control my feelings. I am angry at myself that I just cannot let go and be happy with where I am and who I am. For the last eight and a half months I have just barely been able to keep my head above this ocean of unhappy. The only thing that keeps me from drowning in it is my children. I do not want them to know how miserable I am. The old saying, "if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" is playing out in my life. I do not want my family to suffer just because I am unhappy because then everyone will be unhappy. Children should not have to bear the unhappiness of their parents. Every morning after my children are off at school, I try to find things to keep my mind off of my feelings, but the more I try, the worse I feel. I feel like I am betraying myself because I have always been a happy and mostly positive person, now I am so unhappy that I am becoming someone I do not like. I am slowly being pulled under by the current of unhappiness. I just want to have things be the way they were last year at this time. I just want to feel happy, optimistic, and at ease again. I've got to get that back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going through the exact same thing right now, and I can relate it has got to be the most horrible thing.
Feeling like a failure everyday, not being the a person you like or want to be.
I dont want to say its depression as I always figured depression is mostly self inficted, but what else can it be, and how can it go away????

Hippopop said...

Now that almost five months have passed since I entered that blog, I have come up out of the sea and have been floating on top most of the time. I am not one who will just sit and hope that things get better. I decided that I had to find things that were good and happy and try to have at least one thing to look forward to. What I was so unhappy about is now changing and things seem so much lighter! There will always be ups and downs, but if the downs become the "norm" for you, then you should probably find some help.