Thursday, May 29, 2008

Craving Doughnuts

This is weird, but it proves something that I always knew had a grain of truth in it, and that is that you always want what you can't have. In my case, I want doughnuts! Very strange, isn't it. I think the reason doughnuts have been on my mind a lot lately is that I have been seeing commercials for Dunkin Donuts, and of course, here in "Green Acres" there are no doughnuts to be had; not real doughnuts, anyway. Oh sure, I could go to the grocery store and get their bakery doughnuts (they rarely have a good variety, though) or get a bag or box of stale Krispy Kreme doughnuts that are trucked to the grocery store and sit on the shelf for who knows how long. I have bought Entemann's boxed doughnuts out of desperation, but they just aren't the same as picking out fresh, soft gems from behind a glass case at Dunkin Donuts. The closest store takes about 30 minutes to get to, so my family and I never have them, it's just too far to drive. A lifelong resident here in "Hicktown, USA" told me that once there was a Dunkin Donuts here--you can even see the outline of the letters on the front of the building where the store once was. The delicious and really-bad-for-you pastries were trucked in from the store in the next, more civilized town 20 miles away, but alas, "Hicktown" is anti-chain food, so the shop closed and all of us who would love to have a little treat now and then must go without. I will just have to make-do with watching the commercials and dreaming of the day when I sink my teeth into one of those yummy pillows of high calories and sugar!

No comments: