Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mixed Messages

I hate to admit it, but I do watch the morning "news" shows, and they do nothing but frustrate me. The show I watch the most often is "Good Morning America" on ABC. They are really beating the global warming drum--and loudly. They also seem to get off on bring all manner of bad news. Everyday it is gloom and doom--the housing market, the gasoline prices, the price of food, the record number of tornadoes. on and on and on! Anyway, one thing they do that really honks me off is when they give us consumers "tips" on how to save money and conserve energy. It seems all they know how to do is give mixed messages. For example, they frequently do reports on how to save money on groceries. Most of the stories conclude that buying in bulk saves the most money, and they are probably right about that, but then in the next breath, they give us tips on how to conserve energy, which contradicts what they say in the food story. One of the suggestions for cutting back on the use of electricity is to "unplug the refrigerator in your garage." Okay, so tell me please how in the heck am I supposed to keep all that stupid bulk food you said I would save so much money by buying? We can't have it both ways. Either you save money on food and buy in bulk and store it in your refrigerator/freezer in the garage (or basement), or you unplug the darn energy gulper and only buy what you can store in your main refrigerator/freezer. Oy! These people! The other thing I think is that their whole attitude is that the suggestions are for everyone else--not for them! I would like to see how any of these newscasters and others making these suggestions live. I'll bet very few of them are following many (any) of these silly suggestions!

No comments: