Monday, January 14, 2008

Did You Miss The Golden Globe Awards? Strike On!

So, the Golden Globe Awards were handed out last night. No hoopla, no red carpet, no speeches that go on and on, no big deal. Did you miss it? To be honest, I didn't miss it at all. I probably wouldn't have watched the awards show even if it had occurred. It all seems so shallow, and has no real meaning. Actors and actresses, most of the time, seem so self-absorbed and have that great need to be the center of attention that it is tiresome to watch the awards shows. I enjoy movies and watching television and I think that the writers have every right to strike. Hopefully they will get what they want out of striking. If the strike continues, however, I think it might be a good thing. Average people like me will probably become so bored with television that we will be forced to find other forms of entertainment. We have some puzzles we got for Christmas that are calling out to be worked. We have a whole basement full of books for all ages that we would all be better off by reading. We also got a Ping Pong table for Christmas. Family table tennis tournaments would be a great alternative to watching reruns on television. So I guess what I am saying is that the writers' strike may not be such a bad thing after all. Television serves its purpose, but some of us have become so accustomed to leaning on it for all our entertainment purposes that we have forgotten how to entertain ourselves in simpler, more intellectual and physical ways. So, strike on writers! You are doing us all a favor!

No comments: