Monday, January 28, 2008

Watch Your Grammar, Please!

Here's a little something I thought I would throw on my trash heap this morning: local news reporters' grammar. Last night I was watching the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie "The Russell Girl" when the usual local news teasers came on during the break. Here is what the over-enthusiastic news reader yelled at me: "Join us at 11:00 news where we are working on the story of a shooting that left one guy dead, and another guy wounded. Hear what cops think happened!" I really didn't think I had heard the words correctly. I asked my husband if he heard what they said, and he too, was appalled. What is the idea behind using such casual, slang (not to mention disrespectful) language? What will they spew out next, swear words to emphasize a story? I am disenchanted with the news that comes at us all the time anyway--it seems reporters are no longer required to be impartial, but to hear such casual language somehow makes the story less serious than it should be. I don't like it, and I hope that it was just at one time thing from a station that was using inexperienced, young news readers on the late news to give them a little taste of what the job is really like. If it happens again, I will definitely be writing to the news director!

No comments: